Plaques, Statues, etc.:
Plaque on Heathfield, former residence, South side of Hwy 2 at Western approach to Kingston
St. Patrick, Quebec
Cataraqui Cemetery, Kingston Twp., Ontario
Monument in front of Queen's Park
Places, Buildings, etc.
Named After Prime Minister:
Mount Macdonald, at Rogers Pass, British Columbia.
Macdonald. Village North West of Portage la Prairie, Manitoba. Original name DRUMCONNER.
Macdonald was a training base for British pilots during World War II.
Macdonald-Cartier Bridge. Interprovincial bridge between Ottawa, Ontario and Gatineau, Quebec.
Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport. The Ottawa International Airport was renamed in 1993 to commemorate two Fathers of Confederation, John A. Macdonald and Georges-Etienne Cartier.
Sir John A. Macdonald Building. Former Bank of Montreal building, located at 144 Wellington Street, in Ottawa, Ontario renamed in 2012.
35 Centre St.
63 St-George St.
140 Sussex Dr.
(Since 1930 the official residence of the British High Commissioner to Canada)
on Historic Sites:
BELLEVUE HOUSE NATIONAL HISTORIC PARK, Kingston, Ontario
In 1848-1849 Bellevue House was the home of John A. Macdonald, who later became Canada's first prime minister.
The House was built between 1838 and 1840 by Charles Hales, Kingston grocer and entrepreneur, from whose trade it received the nickname "Tea Caddy Castle." In August 1848 it was rented to John A. Macdonald, Kingston's member of the Legislative Assembly and Receiver General for the province of Canada.
The home was renamed "Bellevue" by the Macdonalds in appreciation of the breathtaking view from its tower. Their brief stay here was not a happy one, however, for Macdonald's ailing wife, Isabella, was confined to a ground floor sickroom, and their infant son died a month after they moved in. Setbacks in John A.'s law practice forced the family to move to more modest quarters after only a year.
Bellevue was purchased by Parks Canada in 1964 and is now operated as a national historic park. It has been restored to the late 1840s period.
EARNSCLIFFE, Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario
Constructed: ca. 1857
This residence was first erected by John Kinnon, who was the son-in-law and partner of Thomas McKay, one of the most active master masons of Ottawa's early days. But the building is associated more with John A. Macdonald, who bought it in 1883 and lived in it until his death in 1891. Since 1930, this house has been the home of the British High Commissioners.
Earnscliffe is one of the most refined examples of the L-shaped Gothic Revival house. Its general appearance retains the characteristic reserve of Ottawa domestic architecture. The handling of proportions gives the composition a feeling of great stability which is heightened by the strongly three-dimensional effect of the Gothic Revival motifs: drip mouldings, fretwork roof trim, pendants and bay windows.
(Canadian inventory of Historic Buildings.)
Details of Interest
First PM in Confederation
First PM of Canada to die while in office as PM
One of the Fathers of Confederation
Came to Canada at the age of five