100th Anniversary of the Fire of 1916
February to December, 2016
On the night of February 3, 1916, a small fire broke out in the House of Commons reading room. Within minutes, it was beyond control, and by morning Centre Block lay in ruins. One hundred years later, Parliament is commemorating a disaster that claimed seven lives and forever changed the character of the Hill.
A special exhibit, entitled Resilience: The Fire of 1916, is currently on display in the Library of Parliament. It can be seen as part of a guided tour of Centre Block.
To learn more about the fire of 1916, visit Parliament on YouTube and Flickr